Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tv show vs books

3 posters

Go down

tv show vs books Empty tv show vs books

Post by Valyrian-steel Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:54 am

Well i've read all 5 books that are out so far and i have yet to watch a single episode on tv so far. For anyone that has read and watched both, how does the show compare to the books?
Valyrian-steel
Valyrian-steel
Small Folk
Small Folk

Back to top Go down

tv show vs books Empty Re: tv show vs books

Post by Guest Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:36 am

I've read and re-read the books and just finished the final episode of the TV series last week. I think in all things, the original source material will be better, with very few exceptions! In an interview I saw recently Charles Dance (who plays Tywin Lannister) said that the show is an adaptation of the books. Obviously there will be a lot of changes, characters will get dropped for the show and many more will get rolled into a completely different character. In all though, I think that the show is pretty faithful to the book and I'd suggest it for any fan of the books.

Back to top Go down

Post by Valyrian-steel Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:44 am

ok cool, i was wondering about the show. I loved the books so far and just was up in the air about waiting till i read all the books before watching, but i think since it will be a few years at best for the last 2 books i might start watching now.
Valyrian-steel
Valyrian-steel
Small Folk
Small Folk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:28 am

I haven't seen the series nor read the books yet.

What should I start with in your opinions?

Back to top Go down

tv show vs books Empty books v Televising

Post by Eandros Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:01 am

To echo what Cosmo says the books are original source material. What the tv series can do is skip lots of material because some chapters are the same material seen through the eyes of a different characters to change perspectives a bit. What the TV series does do is change trivial things in the plot and it can be annoying at times, in order to Sex things up a bit( this may be a play on words but there is far more sex and far more detail about it than there is in the books). What they also have done is leave out or cannot convey significant parts of the plot for brevity or because the subject matter is a bit tricky.
All in all though it is a realistic representation of the books. Well worth the watch and I am addicted and frustrated at the same time. I started watching before reading and it made me read faster to catch up and overtake the plot cos it was not telling me much I wasn't aware of. Read first you'll get annoyed at minor changes but understand more. Watch first you'll enjoy then after reading understand more and get annoyed at minor changes.
I can't recommend one over the other as an introduction to the story because I love both. There you go an analysis without spoilers
Eandros
Eandros
Keeper Of The Dragons
Keeper Of The Dragons

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:04 pm

Just a quick note on the TV Series, I havnt watched any of Season 3 but from what i read it was supposed to only be the first half of 'A Storm Of Swords' with season 4 being the second half. Anybody who has watched and read could confirm this.
Coxy
Coxy
King Of Winter
King Of Winter

Back to top Go down

tv show vs books Empty ****Spoilers****** well sort of

Post by Eandros Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:23 pm

They like to finish a season just after a big event. Season 3 covered the books as far as the 2nd Wedding with guests present that ought not to have been there
Eandros
Eandros
Keeper Of The Dragons
Keeper Of The Dragons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum